A green destination at the crossroads of Touraine, Berry and Poitou, La Roche-Posay and its surroundings boast a remarkably rich heritage as well as a wide range of leisure activities to choose from. For lovers of old stones, history or culture buffs, fresh air fans…
Set between the Gartempe and Creuse Valleys, La Roche Posay makes an ideal departure point for discovery of our heritage at its finest, from Romanesque art to the digital age...
Particularly well worth visiting:
- La Roche-Posay Medieval City and the remains of its bygone citadel
- Angles-sur-l’Anglin (12 km), listed as “One of France’s Most Beautiful Villages”, and the Witches’ Rock
- Chauvigny, the city with five châteaux (20 km): 3 impressive fortresses overlook the Vienne from their rocky spur; one of them is the venue for a falconry show, "The Giants of the Sky"
- Grand Pressigny Museum of Prehistory (20 km) and The Royal City of Loches
- Saint-Savin abbatial church (20 km) and its Romanesque frescoes depicting scenes from the Bible. Inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- Brenne’s fishing pools (30 km): Brenne Regional Nature Park, with its thousands of "étangs" and 267 species of migratory birds
- Montmorillon and the “Cité de l'Ecrit”with its bookshops and secondhand book dealers
- The Loire Châteaux (Azay le Rideau: around 80 km)
And so many other wonders that await your coming…